Surely, we all know Wikipedia , the well-known internet encyclopedia which is established by volunteer users participating in the procedure of its development . In these days, Wikipedia influences people. Due to their love for Pontus and more particularly for the Pontian dialect which is the closest to the ancient Greek language and is spoken even today by Pontian people around the world, three young people put an effort to set up their Pontian Wikipedia in Greek and English on 23rd September 2007.
For the record, the people who supported the establishment of this action and constituted the basis of this effort with their creation, elaboration and improvement of the texts (articles) are worth mentioning. They include:
Gregoriades Elias, a Greek descent from Oberhausen of Nordrhein-Westfalen in Germany, Pontian in origin from the city of Kilkis . Papadopoulos D. Efstathios , a Greek emigrant from Ellwangen of Baden-Wurtemberg in Germany , of Pontian origin from Loutrochori –Skydra , Prefecture of Pellis and Gregoroudis Constantine from Thessaloniki , of Greek origin from Cappadokia. Ten months later, two new members joined the original group; they are not of Pontian origin but they truly support the cause. They are: Diakonokolaou Zacharias aged 16(!!!) from Ialyssos –Rodes and Palioudakis Angelos from Athens.
After fifteen days of hard work, all the people mentioned above succeeded in meeting the standards set by Wikimedia Foundation responsible for any attempt to create a new Wikipedia .
It is worth mentioning that the attempt was approved according to the regulations of Wikipedia after a series of meetings and correspondence among the people in charge of the Wikimedia Foundation and Mr Theophanis Malkidis, Dr of Social Siences.
On 7th January 2009, the approval was granted and the Pontian Wikipedia was edited on an independent site. On 5th March it came into full operation on the following site: http://pnt.wikipedia.org/
The articles in the encyclopedia are written in the Pontian dialect .The aim is to combine new technology and old traditions (customs, knowledge and history) in the best possible way. In this context everyone can visit the site and come into contact with the Pontian dialect, practice his/her knowledge of the language and also be informed of other ‘pontian issues’ etc.
The Pontian Wikipedia (an open encyclopedia written and enriched by those who really want to support the idea) started from scratch and today seventeen months later, has succeeded in having its own site with 165 articles.
Among other things, it represents in a worthy way the Pontian Greeks and the Greeks around the world in this big and worldwide family of Wikipedia .
After the official approval was granted , this issue assumed great importance and for this reason the members of the community call upon anyone who knows to speak the Pontian dialect to suppot this effort and contribute to the Pontian Wikipedia which constitutes the common field of all Pontian Greeks and all Pontian speaking people around the world .
An important step took place with the official acknowledgement of the Pontian Wikipedia and at the same time a report to UNESCO to include the Pontian dialect in the Map of Languages .
In this way significant progress was made to preserve the three-thousand year old ancient Pontian dialect in future generations.
The members of the community of the Pontian Wikipedia would like to sincerely thank the following people for the recent important developments on the Pontian dialect issue:
- Malkidis Theophanis , Dr of Social Sciences
- Karypidou Sophia , member of the Coordination Committee of the World Council of Hellenes Abroad (SAE)of Europe region and a member of the Administrative Council of the Federation of Greek Pontian Associations in Europe (FGPAE).
- Amarantidis Georgios , SAE Europe Regional Coordinator and ex-President of FGPAE
- Galanidis Christos , Horonary Chairman of FGPAE and a member of the Committee of Pontian Studies
- Meijssen Gerard, person in charge of the Language Committee of Wikimedia
- Diamantidis Ioannis , president of the Committee of Zidelfigen-Bobligen
- Papadopoulou Demetra , President of the Federation of Greek Pontian Associations in Europe .
- Oxyzidis Demitrios , President of the Pontian Hostel in Stutgard
- Moysidis Ioannis , Secretary General of the Greek Scientists Union in Baden- Buttenberg .
- Andreadis Georgios , author
- Nikolaidis Georgios , coordinator of the Youth Committee of FGPAE
- Keridis Georgios , person in charge of the multimedia section of the Youth of FGPAE
- Parasoglou Antonios, person in charge of the cultural issues of the Youth of FGPAE
- Kalpakidis Epaminondas , , person in charge of public relations of the Youth of FGPAE
- Sevasti Symeonidou , Secretary General of the Youth of FGPAE and a member of the Pontian Youth Coordiation Committee of SAE in Europe
- Demitriadis Andreas, person in charge of the multimedia section of SAE of Europe
- Bountos Athanasios , person in charge of the multimedia section of SAE and a member of the Youth Coordination Committee of SAE of Europe
- Ossipidis Anestis , former Secretary General of the Federation of Greek Pontian Associations of Europe
- Papadopoulos Ioannis, president of the Pontian Association ‘Akrites’ in Herbrehtingen
Wed page : http://www.pontosworld.com/
Sites : http://taxalia.blogspot.com/